Google has announced that it is going to stop supporting Microsoft’s browser Internet Explorer version 6.0. It says that the browser is slow and buggy which could pose a threat to the internet.
Killing IE6 implies that Google would stop supporting their services such as YouTube and Google Docs on the browser. Nearly everyone in today’s world use these Google services and they are an essential part of their internet experience. By not being able to use these services, IE6 users would have no choice but to switch their browser or upgrade their version of Internet Explorer. YouTube would do this by 13th of March. Users could watch videos on the browser but new features won’t work. Google Docs and Google sites hosting services would stop on 1st March, 2010.
Google has taken a stand to remove the browser as it even was involved in the recent China attack. Much of the measured IE 6 usage originates in China. According to NetApplications, IE 6 is still used by 20% of the surfers worldwide.
Hexxeh is a developer who keeps on uploading diffferent versions of Chromium OS for use. The latest edition being Flow.
Flow promises to be the most exciting version yet with better hardware support, auto update , webcam support and an improved application menu & directory. Prior to this Hexxeh released Google Chromium OS Zero which was super fast. His downloads are trustworthy and usually do work.
The file size is 327 MB . To try your hand on this version Click Here
Earlier this month Apple started a campaign to reach 10 Billion songs download from the iTunes Store and today it has completed its mission and has sold 10 Billion songs from iTunes.
UPDATE : The 10 Billionth song was downloaded by Louie Sulcer of Woodstock, Georgia and she got Guess Things Happen That Way by Johnny Cash.
An Italian court convicted three Google executives for not responding quickly enough to remove an online video that showed sadistic teenage bullies pummeling and mocking an autistic boy.
The judge sentenced the three in absentia to a six month suspended sentence and absolved them of defamation charges.
Google called this decision ” astonishing” . ” We will appeal this astonishing decision! We are deeply troubled by the decision. It attacks the principles of freedom on which the internet was built” said a Google’s spokesman .
The verdict could help define whether the internet in Italy and perhaps beyond is an open, self regulating platform or if content must be better monitored for abusive material.
Google Chrome finally has the ability of adding extensions which brought joy to a lot of users. We lay down the top 5 extensions which enhance Chrome and make it fun to use.
1. Chromed Bird – Chromed Bird is an awesome Twitter extension for Google Chrome with lots of features. You could compose a new tweet, check out tweets from your friends, create short URL’s, Notify user whenever new tweets arrive and lots more , all without even going to twitter.com
2. Feedly – Feedly is the best Chrome extension so far. It is even available for Firefox . Feedly is a magazine like startpage for reading your feeds.
3. Wikipedia – Access Wikipedia in a drop down box.
4. Dropbox – DropBox as we all know is the easiest way to store, sync, and, share files online. Now, there is even a chrome extension for it. With the extension, you could view your upload, manage them and even download them to your computer.
5. SimpleNotes – This is as simple as the name sounds. It is a note taking extension whereby you could just quickly take a note without opening NotePad or stuff.
Google updated it’s iPhone app yesterday.
Some of the fixes and improvements are :-
1. Added support for search by voice for iPod touch .
2. Improved stability when using voice on restricted networks.
3. Fix crashes when searching for @.
4. Fix crashes when pasting in search box.
5. Improvements for using voice search on iPod touch .
eBay Seller “heylookitskibbe” put up a huge glass stair which he claims is from Apple’s Fifth Ave. Store.
According to the seller, a part of the Apple $300000 spiral staircase was broken and Apple didn’t want to keep it.
So heylookitskibbe and 3 others lifted it up and now its for sale on eBay. The starting bid is that of $200.
Apple claims that there is an app for just about everything. Sure there are alternatives to some of the apps but sometimes we wish that there was an iPhone app for that particular service.
Do post in the name of the apps you wish was available for the iPhone platform but is currenlty not there.
Google just confirmed that its popular service Google Reader is going real time. Until now, it often took half an hour or longer before new posts from popular blogs and news sites would appear in Google Reader.
But from now onwards posts from PubSubHubbub-enabled feeds appear in Google Reader almost immediately after they are published.