The iPhone / iPod touch firmware upgrade 3.1 added loads of new features and functionalities to these beloved devices.
Predictions for iPhone OS 4.0 are:
1. Home Background – One of the main reasons people love to jailbreak their iPhones / iPod touch is because they get to customize the device. Apple has restricted cutomization ! In the next upgrade Apple must allow users to have their own picture as the Home Screen Background , download themes from the app store and even change their fonts.
2. Multi-Tasking – This feature should have been available in firmware 3.0 itself . It is available on jailbroken iPhones by an app called Multifl0w. This gives yet another chance for users to jailbreak their phones. Say you wanted to copy a particular text from a website and then paste it in an app and again go back to the website without closing the app; in this case multitasking would be fantastic.
3. Bluetooth enhancement – Apple did enable Bluetooth on iPod touch with it’s 3.0 firmware upgrade but it was kind of restricted . It allowed you to only connect with other iPods or headsets but you couldn’t connect to a windows mobile or symbian device . 4.0 should be capable of transfering files to such devices too.
4. Picture editing on the go – Though a lot of third party apps are available on the App Store for editing a picture , but there isn’t an official app from Apple. 4.0 must include a picture editing app for the iPhone.
5. Voice recognition – The nexus one brought with it a lot of voice enabled input methods. You could speak out and the phone would convert it to text etc. The iPhone is a bit restricted in these areas. With 4.0 the iPhone should have voice input wherever text input is available.