Apple recognizes those developers who showcase the best in design, innovation and technology. To honor these developers, Apple hosts the Apple Design Awards anually and celebrate their achievement. Apple today announced eight winners of the Apple 2020 Design Awards, mentioning those, it said, “brought distinctive new ideas to life while demonstrating a master of Apple technology.” Among the eight winners, four were who created some of the best apps for making creatives and four were for building some of the best games available on App Store.
Apple Awards usually serves as an indicator as to what kind of apps Apple wants to see. In 2019, Apple presented the award to those developers who highlighted the usage of Apple Pencil, Core ML and Metal 2. However, this year Apple has focused mostly on apps designed for iPad, especially photo editors and other such tools that showcases iPad as a creative tool. Also, the most of the game winners were awarded for their use of spatial audio and haptics.
App Developer Winners:
- Darkroom, from Berger Co., makes use of Apple technologies such as photo and camera APIs, Home Screen quick actions, contextual menus, and haptics.
- Looom, developed by iorama.studio, uses Apple technologies including Apple Pencil and Dark Mode.
- Shapr 3D, from Shapr 3D ZRT, makes use of Apple Pencil, ARKit and draf and drop. The app will soon make use of the LiDAR Scanner.
- StaffPad, from StaffPad Ltd., uses Apple technologies including Apple Pencil, drag and drop, and Core ML.
Game Developer Winners:
- Sayonara Wild Hearts, from developer Simogo and publisher Annapurna Interactive, makes extensive use of Apple technologies including Metal, Game Center, spatial audio, and game controllers.
- Sky: Children of the Light, from thatgamecompany, uses Apple technologies including a custom Metal engine, haptics, Game Center, and spatial audio.
- Song of Bloom, from indie developer Philipp Stollenmayer, selected for its handcrafted gameplay and design.
- Where Cards Fall, from developer The Game Band and publisher Snowman, supports Apple technologies, including Metal, haptics, Game Center, and iCloud, to bring to life its dreamlike spatial puzzles, immersive audio, and unique miniature-art style.
The winners this year will be receiving the Apple Design Award Trophy, created by Apple Design Team, a 27″ iMac Pro, 16″ MacBook Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Pro 12.9, Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro, Apple Pencil 2nd generation, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch Series 5, 44mm. and AirPods Pro.