SMS Relay is a part of continuity that allows you to use all your Apple devices to send and receive text messages. This is a convenient feature for users who find it cumbersome to type long messages on their phones. With SMS Relay they can type messages using Mac’s qwerty keyboard.
Before the Set Up ensure the following:
- iOS device is updated to the latest version of iOS 8.1
- All the iOS and OS X devices are on same Wi-Fi network
- All the devices are logged on to the same iCloud account
Set Up procedure:
- Start with iOS device Set Up. Open Settings —> Messages —> Send & Receive. Make sure you are signed in with your Apple ID.
- Now on the OS X device open Messages, press on the word Messages. From the top Menu select Messages within that open Preferences. Ensure here also that you are signed into your Apple account
The Messages Application in your OS X will show all the messages that are in your iOS device.