JOOL App Developers Speak About Marketing, Apple and How They Got Featured
JOOL is a brand new App from ROSTLAUB that got featured by Apple in the “New and Noteworthy” section. The game is at the moment on the front page of iTunes in over 20 countries. JOOL has been praised by the press because of its incredible graphics, balanced gameplay and brilliant concept. In this interview with Richard from JOOL, we get to take a behind the scenes look at the creation of the stunning game.
1. How did you conceive the idea for the App?
After the success of our last web art project, we were really in to finding a new direction. As an experienced gamer, I brought the game idea to ROSTLAUB and we started the development in early 2012. What I really wanted to have in the game was kind of a second chance cause in endless runners you die real quick for small mistakes. In JOOL, you can resurrect as your ego alters. To do so, we had the idea of the 180 degrees flip mechanic.
2. Do you think Apple’s offerings for developers for developing Apps is good? Are there any changes required?
Of-course, the conditions are great like the full development environment and the audience. Apple did not reject our game in any way.
3. What is your marketing strategy? What marketing techniques do you use to promote your App in this heavily competitive application space?
Strategies are for pip-squeak’s. I just wrote to the VIP reviewers and they simply liked the game. These worked as a catalyst for more reviews and a big momentum. Simply love what you do, and have people understand that and enjoy what you do. This is by far the right strategy for everything in life.
4. Can you describe your “Eureka” moment while developing the App?
First time flipping the iPad 180 degrees ingame and seeing that the core idea works. We are living in a world where device inputs are much more innovative than the outputs, right? Now we all just have to figure out what to do with all these little sensors.
5. How did you come to decide the price that you would be charging users to purchase your App?
ROSTLAUB is not a financially driven company, we all did not spend a minute to think about any price issues.
6. What gave you the kick to convert your idea into reality? What kept you awake all night long?
All 4 ROSTLAUB founders have been friends for a long time. After our first collective art project in 2004 we simply like to work together. It simply does not feel like hard work with the right guys.
7. Your App was recently featured by Apple on the App Store. How much % does it have an impact on sales? How do you think an App can get featured?
Our game is not even 2 weeks old and got a first feature in the USA after 3 days. Right now we are on the iTunes start page in 20 countries. I guess the featuring algorithms are secret for good reasons and personally think they have a team of smart editors and great software with big blue glossy buttons
You can download the game from the App Store for just $0.99.