DevDialouge – Astrowings Developer Speaks Out
Astrowings has got 3 million members addicted to the game. There must be something that keeps new users coming and old users hooked. AstroWings is a highly popular series in which users keep scrolling vertically and battling their way through. In this interview with the developers of the App, we take a look at the behind the scenes picture to understand how they did it.
1. How did you conceive the idea for the App?
It was planned out well so it’s difficult to say that the idea of this App suddenly came out. But I can say that we had an idea but the reality of developing it was different but we didour best to make it
2. Do you think Apple’s offerings for developers for developing Apps is good? Are there any changes required?
Apple’s support is friendly and helpful to the developer but in some aspects it seems too automated and finding information or help can be somewhat difficult.
3. What is your marketing strategy? What marketing techniques do you use to promote your App in this heavily competitive application space?
I don’t think there are many apps that can be competitive against Astrowings. Even though we are marketing this app to expose it to more gamers, we want this game to be easy to use and fun to play so we hope that gamers talk about our game. Therefore our marketing strategy is
to get gamers to talk or introduce our game to their friends. In addition, even though you don’t download our game we want users to look at our app and appreciate it for what it is. Specific marketing plans for unreleased app’s are quite different because the target
users are different.
4. Can you describe your “Eureka” moment while developing the App?
For myself there wasn’t a specific point of inspiration. However there are times when inspiration comes naturally for example, making something easier to play or more comfortable for the users. When developing apps and thinking of ways to make it better for users is
something that I really like.
5. How did you come to decide the price that you would be charging users to purchase your App?
If I could I would like it to be free. However, we have to survive and make a living as well. Therefore because many users purchase apps at a inexpensive price we hope our decision of the price for Astrowings is reasonable.
6. What gave you the kick to convert your idea into reality? What kept you awake all night long?
I like to think or imagine in a dark and quiet place. When I am thinking I like to think of what kind of way or things I would like to use or develop and start sorting my ideas from there. For me, using this method helps me to anticipate the needs or the app itself in the
near future. This is when I have the most fun.
7. Your thoughts on paid marketing? Paid ads, reviews, sponsorship and more. What made your App’s marketing plan successful?
I think the most effective plan to achieve maximum revenue is through community. When you make a fun and great app, people will naturally talk about it through communities. The marketing plan is important but also making a great app is the way to success.